The best Vietnamese restaurants in Edmonton are the place to go when you’re in the mood for some pho or a banh mi.
Edmonton is home to a large Vietnamese community, and as such, there are many great Vietnamese restaurants to choose from. Here we’ve compiled a list of the best Vietnamese restaurants in Edmonton, based on their authenticity, quality of food, and overall dining experience.
Whether you’re looking for a casual spot to enjoy a bowl of pho or want to sit down for a more upscale meal, these are the best Vietnamese restaurants in Edmonton.
For other delicious foodin Edmonton, check out our list of the best Korean restaurants in Edmonton.
What are the Most Popular Vietnamese Dishes?
Vietnamese cuisine is known for its flavour and species-rich dishes. However, at the same time, it is also considered to be healthy and nutritious.Therefore, if you want to try something new and exciting – Vietnamese cuisine should be your choice!
The most popular Vietnamese dishes include:
- Cá Kho Tộ: This dish is basically caramelized and braised catfish. The catfish is often cooked in fish sauce, a popular Vietnamese sauce. It is then caramelized by adding sugar and sprinkled with some black pepper, green onions, and red pepper. This dish goes perfectly with white rice.
- Gỏi Sứa: It’s a jellyfish salad that consists of the jellyfish being often cut into bite-sized strips and mixed with vegetables, sometimes even shredded green mangoes. The sauce for a salad is made of fish sauce, lemon or lime juice, red pepper, and sugar.
- Phở: This national dish is made with flat rice noodles, a warming broth and usually chicken or beef. All of the components – noodles, beef or chicken broth, herbs and chiles (for seasoning) – are served separately.
- Phở Cuốn: It is a wonderful dish that features thinly sliced fried beef and bean sprouts. The meat and the bean sprouts are combined with rice noodles and vegetables, then rolled up in rice paper or tapioca paper.
- Bánh Tráng Nướng: This popular street food features a lightly crispy rice paper cracker layered with any number of delicious toppings. It is often slicked with scallion oil and loaded with scrambled egg, crisped pork belly, sweet chile sauce, and more.
- Bánh Cam: These glutinous balls are a popular Vietnamese dish that is speckled with sesame seeds and filled with a sweet mung bean paste. The exterior of the ball is crispy while the inside remains chewy, making them an ideal snack or appetizer.
- Bánh Tét: It is a Vietnamese savoury but sometimes sweetened cake made primarily from glutinous rice, which is rolled in a banana leaf into a thick, log-like cylindrical shape, with a mung bean or mung bean and pork filling, then boiled. After cooking, the banana leaf is removed and the cake is sliced into wheel-shaped servings.
The Best Vietnamese Restaurants in Edmonton
1) Saigon Taste
At Saigon Taste, they specialize in serving delicious and authentic Vietnamese cuisine. Their spring rolls – Cha Gio – are made with fresh ingredients and a perfect blend of spices, while their Summer Rolls – Goi Cuon – are light and refreshing, perfect for any season.
Their Hue’s Spicy Beef Noodle Soup is a hearty dish that is sure to please, and their Hu Tieu Thap Cam is a steaming bowl of hot rice noodles swimming in a rich chicken stock gravy made from barbeque meats and squid ink balls.
Whatever you’re in the mood for, we’re sure to have something that will leave your mouth watering. So come on in and try us out today!
2) Pho Hoan Pasteur
At Pho Hoan Pasteur, they believe that good food is meant to be shared. That’s why their menu features a variety of traditional Vietnamese dishes that are perfect for sharing with family and friends.
From pho and noodle soups to rice and vermicelli bowls, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. And because we only use the freshest ingredients, you can be sure that you’re getting quality food that is authentically Vietnamese.
So come and visit them today, and let them show you what Vietnamese cuisine is all about!
3) Dang Good Restaurant
When it comes to delicious, authentic Vietnamese cuisine, there’s no better place than Dan Good restaurant. The menu features all of your favorite dishes, from deep-fried spring rolls and fresh salad rolls to grilled pork meatball skewers and rice bowls.
And for those who are looking for something a little bit different, be sure to check out the vegan options – there’s a whole zone dedicated to vegan-friendly dishes made with the freshest ingredients.
So whether you’re in the mood for a hearty bowl of pho or a light and refreshing mango salad, you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for at Dan Good restaurant.
4) Pho Tasty
Pho Tasty does not mess around when it comes to authentic Vietnamese cuisine. Established in 2018, this restaurant has been famous for its traditional dishes that are anything but ordinary.
From phở and bánh mì to cha gio and tiêu chuanxiong, there is no shortage of deliciousness on the menu. And for those who are looking for something a little bit different, Pho Tasty also offers unique twists on classic favorites.
For example, the Bun Bo Hue beef stew is served over steamed rice instead of vermicelli, and the Bo Khoa pork belly stir-fry is tossed with fresh cilantro, lime sauce on jasmine rice instead of rice noodle.
So whether you’re in the mood for something familiar or adventurous, Pho Tasty has you covered.
5) Bangkok Hot Pot
If you’re ever in the mood for a delicious and authentic Vietnamese meal, Bangkok Hotpot Restaurant is the perfect place to go. The restaurant serves up some of the best classical and traditional dishes, and its specialty is pho, a traditional noodle dish.
In addition to pho, you’ll also find wings, meatballs made from chicken, pork, or beef, and vegetables. If you want to indulge yourself with greens, look no further than Bangkok Hotpot’s vegetables section, which includes items like fried okra, and eggplant.
So next time you’re in the mood for a delicious and authentic Vietnamese meal, be sure to head to Bangkok Hotpot Restaurant. You won’t be disappointed!
6) Co Do Hue
Cố Đô is a family-owned restaurant that specializes in traditional Vietnamese cuisine. The restaurant has been passed down through generations of the Đỗ family, each of whom has contributed their own unique dishes and flavors to the menu. The result is a mouthwatering array of options that are sure to please any palate.
Some popular choices include bún bò Huế (a beefy and spicy broth dish), Wonton Noodle Soup, Steamed Rice or Vermicelli, Pork Sausage & Egg Noodles in Chicken Broth, Lai Fan Soup, Shrimp on Sugarcane and grilled Nem (Pork Patty) Rice dishes.
No matter what you order, you’re sure to enjoy a delicious and authentic taste of Vietnam at Cố Đô.
7) Thanh Thanh Oriental Noodle House
At Thanh Thanh, they understand that sometimes you just want a simple bowl of soup. Other times, you’re feeling adventurous and want to try something new. That’s why they offer a wide range of dishes, from classics like wonton soup to unique combinations like grilled chicken skewers with rice.
If you can’t decide what you’re in the mood for, try one of their custom combinations. They also have a delicious selection of seafood dishes, like shrimp with mixed vegetables or spicy shrimp with lemongrass and hot peppers.
No matter what you’re craving, we’ve got something for everyone at Thanh Thanh.
8) XO Bistro + Bar
Xo Bistro is a restaurant that offers family recipes for noodle soups, spring rolls, grilled meats, banh mi, and many other Vietnamese classic dishes. The high demand dishes on their menu include the beef stew, pork chop rice and crispy lemon chicken rice, vermicelli in the rice bowl.
Xo Bistro also offers several vegetarian options including curried vegetable stir-fry over brown basmati rice pilaf or sweet potato curry served over jasmine green or basmati rice, for those who are looking for something lighter.
The restaurant is located in the heart of downtown and is within walking distance of many hotels and businesses. Xo Bistro is open for lunch and dinner Monday through Saturday and is closed on Sundays.